History of Vaasan Setlementti
The settlement work in Vaasa began 1948
The roots of the settlement work in Vaasa can be found in Palosaari and Palosaaren Työkotiyhdistys. The settlement work is considered to have started 13.4.1948, when Työkotiyhdistys´s executive committee decided to organize evening club activities for young people at Huvilakatu 1, in the current Setlementtikeskus. During the first evening club they watched the movie “Our Gang”.
Vaasan Setlementtiyhdistys´ inaugural meeting was held at restaurant Ernst 4.2.1950 and the association was registered at the following year. Setlementtikeskus´house in Palosaari is older than Vaasan Setlementtiyhdistys itself. The house was built with donated funds and as a joint effort during 1908-1910. Three associations participated in the planning and building oh the house: Lasten seimiyhdistys, Kansanopistoyhdistys and Palosaaren Työkotiyhdistys – Arbetshemmet för betlande barn på Brändö.
Palosaaren Työkotiyhdistys gave its activities in 1966 and its funds, including the property on Huvilakatu, was transferred to Vaasan Setlementtiyhdistys. Today the building is owned by the city of Vaasa.
The roots of the settlement work in Vaasa can be found in England. The movement that has spread across the world began in Eastern England in the 1880´s, when vicar Samuel Barnett wanted to help workers who lived in the harsh environment of the slum.
The pioneers of the settlement movement in Finland were suffragette and temperance movement supporter Alli Trygg-Helenius and Sigfrid Sirenius, who worked as a seamen´s chaplain in London in the early 1900´s.